Since Modern Warfare 2, each entry in Activision’s Call of Duty franchise has received at least one special edition package titled the “Hardened Edition.” The Hardened Edition has typically contained small trinkets and downloadable content, while any “Prestige Editions” have contained big toys. Not one to break tradition, the upcoming Black Ops II will be receiving two editions of its own, if rumors are true.
The game’s Hardened Edition will include the following items:
- A copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops II
- A steelbook case featuring art from the game’s campaign and Zombies mode
- The Nuketown 2025 multiplayer map
- The Nuketown Zombies map
- Limited edition challenge coins
- The official Call of Duty: Black Ops II soundtrack, featuring music by Jack Wall and Trent Reznor
- An exclusive multiplayer weapon camouflage
- Exclusive multiplayer player card backgrounds
- An exclusive Claw Avatar prop (Xbox 360 version only)
- An exclusive Zombies Avatar costume (Xbox 360 version only)
- An exclusive multiplayer console theme (PlayStation 3 version only)
- An exclusive Zombies console theme (PlayStation 3 version only)
- An exclusive “II”-shaped box to keep the Hardened Edition’s contents in
Meanwhile, the game’s “Care Package” edition will include all of the contents of the Hardened Edition while also adding in a remote-control MD-27 Dragonfire drone. To keep the contents in, Activision is including a crate modeled after the care packages seen in Black Ops II‘s multiplayer. Unlike last year’s Hardened Edition of Modern Warfare 3, however, neither edition of Black Ops II seems to include a subscription to the Call of Duty Elite service, which offers users exclusive competitions and in-game content.
Activision is expected to confirm the legitimacy of the leaked contents soon.
Update: The two editions have been confirmed as real, with the Hardened Edition costing $79.99 in North America, and the Care Package edition selling for $179.99. In addition, a Digital Deluxe Edition has been announced for PC that includes a digital copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Nuketown Zombies, Nuketown 2025, a weapon camouflage, exclusive player card backgrounds, the Call of Duty: Black Ops II soundtrack, and a token to download Treyarch’s 2008 title Call of Duty: World at War. The Digital Deluxe Edition will be sold for $79.99.