Earlier this year, Square Enix released Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy, a rhythm game that featured a variety of songs from the numerous Final Fantasy games. While the game was only released for Nintendo 3DS at the time, Square Enix has now given more people a chance to play it via an iOS port.
The iOS edition of Theatrhythm plays similarly to the original 3DS game, with players tapping and swiping at the touch screen in conjunction with timed notes scrolling on-screen. However, instead of the Series Mode featured in the original, the iOS version’s main gameplay mode is Quest Medley, in which players complete songs of varying difficulty in order to acquire bonuses, such as CollectaCards. Also new is the Compose Scores mode, which allows players to create their own tracks for the game’s songs and share them via Twitter.
Similar to the 3DS version, Theatrhythm on iOS supports DLC, now in the form of in-app purchases. Many of the game’s downloadable songs were originally featured in the 3DS version either on-cartridge or by DLC, though new songs are also available for purchase. Some of the exclusive songs can be seen below.
- The Red Wings (from Final Fantasy IV)
- A New World (from Final Fantasy V)
- Don’t Be Afraid (from Final Fantasy VIII)
- Fisherman’s Horizon (from Final Fantasy VIII)
- Not Alone (from Final Fantasy IX)
- Shinryu (from Final Fantasy XI)
- Antipyretic (from Final Fantasy Tactics)
- Sound of the Wind (from Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles)
- Beyond the Wasteland (from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children)
- Advent: One-Winged Angel (from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children)
When the game was released for Nintendo 3DS, we had high praise for the title, so it’s safe to say that iOS gamers are in for a treat. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy was developed by indieszero, and is playable on iPhone 4 and up, iPad 2 and up, and the fifth generation iPod touch. The game is available for free on the App Store, with the songs One-Winged Angel and Zanarkand included.
Source: Square Enix (via Gamasutra)